Bee and Yard

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Save the Bees!


Whazzup?
You tell me, you smart newspaper-reading people (see last post).
The bees have been in my yard since May, and there have been four people stung in all of those (Icandomath, Icandomath) four months: me, my mom, my dad, and a neighbor's dog who tried to eat a bee. Tell me, if these little ladies are soooo dangerous, wouldn't even dogs know not to eat them? Huh? HUH? HUH??? HUH?!? YOU TALKIN' TO ME?!?

If you didn't ignore that, slap yourself on the wrist, give me ten push-ups, slam a dunce cap on your head, and sit in the corner for five minutes. Then keep reading.
In other words, the committee has voted on a ban, had it voted down, voted on a ban again (can they do that?), and is now trying to regulate it to oblivion by requiring 25-foot set-back distances. PLEASE go to www.evanstonnow.com and vote on the bee bzz-ness. No, don't go now, finish reading first, fool... EYES FRONTWAYS, CADET!!!
Do I have to tell you?
Well, I'm not sure how to wrap this up, so--
Look! I'm over there! (see arrow at top)

*poof*

5 Comments:

  • I think that you are a poor spokesman for beekeepers in your area.

    Loose the attitude when dealing with adults! You can catch more flys with honey than vinegar.

    Ralph
    Milford, CT
    20 Hives

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:26 PM  

  • hey, gabriel. i'm trying to write up a post at chicagoist based on the city council decision. based on the changed ordinance and the taking off of the limits on lot size and stuff ... does this mean you CAN keep your bees and stuff????

    i hope so.

    hey ralph, he's 14. i'm totally proud of him for 1. having beekeeping as a hobby and not drugs or sex or all of that, 2. writing a blog, and 3. keeping it real. give him a break!!

    go bees!!

    jocelyn geboy
    chicagoist
    chicago,il

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:29 PM  

  • I've read up a lot on beekeeping and a lot on your dilemna in Evanston. I'm a Chicago neighbor. Do you have any pictures of your hive and backyard setup of it? We don't have 50 foot wide lots here, so I'm sure beekeeping would be much more frowned upon in my NW side yard than Evanston. Thanks.

    And Ralph,
    "You can catch more flys with honey than vinegar."
    Who. Wants. Flies?

    By Blogger Prospector, at 8:48 PM  

  • Well, I'm sorry that I took so long to write, but I'd like to say some things. Jocelyn, everyone says "bees not drugs", as if all non-beekeeper teens are potheads. ENOUGH WITH THE TEEN-BASHING!
    Also, Ralph, vinegar is just as much produced by critters as honey is. (Whipscorpions, a kind of arachnid, spray it on enemies.) Secondly, my 'elders and betters' and all that jazz are people who don't deserve a lack of attitude. Why, I oughtta disrespect you right now. Pshhh. I am not supposed to be a diplomat to the teeny tiny nation of Apiphobia. I am a pro-bee radical (but not extremist, you won't find me torching bug zappers) and proud of it!
    But thanks for your two cents, all three of you, even if it is the sort that gets lost down the back of the sofa while I'm too busy procrastinating to check my blog.
    Bye!!!

    By Blogger Jezaib, at 7:43 PM  

  • Well, it never hurts, and nearly always helps, to be diplomatic in your communications, nonetheless...

    xox Your Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home